So Bad It's Good
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:09 pm

It's Official! A New Godzilla Movie Is Coming In 2012! 
Batshit Crazy
Batshit Crazy

Post It's Official! A New Godzilla Movie Is Coming In 2012!

Rumors that Legendary Pictures were in the process of making a new, American, "Godzilla" film first surfaced last August, and now they have been officially confirmed.

Yes, my friends, the studio has just announced that they have struck a deal with the famed Toho studios in Japan to produce a brand-new "Godzilla" movie, which will be released through Warner Bros in 2012.

According to the deal, Warner Bros will co-produce the film, and pony up some of the cash for it, while Toho will release the film in Japan.

There isn't a director yet, but the studio has announced that Dan Lin, Roy Lee Brian Rogers, Yoshimitsu Banno, Kenji Okuhira and Doug Davison will all serve as producers.

Thomas Tull, Chairman and CEO of Legendary Pictures, commented, "Godzilla is one of the world's most powerful pop culture icons, and we at Legendary are thrilled to be able to create a modern epic based on this long-loved Toho franchise. Our plans are to produce the Godzilla that we, as fans, would want to see. We intend to do justice to those essential elements that have allowed this character to remain as pop-culturally relevant for as long as it has."

Sources close to the deal note that it will be similar in scope to other Warner/Legendary films, co-productions, such as "The Dark Knight" and "300".

So, that is it. A new American "Godzilla" movie, with "Godzilla" in it, not "GINO"!

We can only hope that Tull and his team at Warner/Legendary keep true to their word and produce a "Godzilla" film that hearkens back to the classic films produced by Toho that we all grew up with.

I think that they know, that if they don't, we will burn the studio down.........just kidding......okay, no we will.

Update: Legendary's Godzilla: See? I Told You So! by Armand Vaquer

See? I told you so! (Thanks to Rush Limbaugh for that!) I knew that something was up when I spoke to Toho-L.A. General Manager Yukio Kotaki! You may recall that when I questioned Mr. Kotaki about the rumor of the Legendary Pictures project, he couldn't say but gave a noticable giggle. Legendary Pictures announced today that they will be co-producing and co-financing with Warner Brothers a new Godzilla movie that will be re-imagining the Japanese monster. It will not be connected to the Sony/TriStar feature with Matthew Broderick. Thank God!

This is great news, provided the movie turns out to be faithful to the spirit of Japan's Godzilla rather than the abomination that TriStar's 1998 Godzilla turned out to be. That movie is commonly known as GINO (Godzilla In Name Only).

Update: Here is a copy of the press release (Heads up from Rob Smith)

"LEGENDARY PICTURES TO DEVELOP AND PRODUCE MAJOR MOTION PICTURE BASED ON TOHO COMPANY?S ICONIC MONSTER, GODZILLA

Burbank, CA ? March 29, 2010 ? Legendary Pictures announced today that they will develop and produce a new film based on Toho Company?s famed GODZILLA character. Through the terms of the agreement, Legendary Pictures has acquired the rights to produce a movie inspired by Toho?s Godzilla, a franchise the Japanese company created and has nurtured for over fifty years.

Toho?s GODZILLA franchise boasts one of the most widely recognized film creatures worldwide, resulting in a series of books, television programs, video games and more than 25 films worldwide. Legendary intends to approach the film and its characters in the most authentic manner possible. The company will, in the near future, announce a filmmaker to helm the film for an intended 2012 release. The film will fall under the company?s co-production and co-financing deal with Warner Bros. Toho will distribute the film in Japan."

"Godzilla" is coming back -- this time, with Legendary Pictures taking the lead, co-producing and co-financing with Warner Bros. for release in 2012.

Legendary announced Monday it had obtained rights to the iconic monster character from Japan's Toho Co., which has overseen more than 25 "Godzilla" films. Toho will release the pic in Japan.

Legendary said it's planning to announce a director shortly.

In addition to Legendary, producers on the new film will be Dan Lin, Roy Lee and Brian Rogers. Yoshimitsu Banno, Kenji Okuhira and Doug Davison will exec produce.

"Godzilla is one of the world's most powerful pop culture icons, and we at Legendary are thrilled to be able to create a modern epic based on this long-loved Toho franchise," said Thomas Tull, Chairman and CEO of Legendary. "Our plans are to produce the Godzilla that we, as fans, would want to see. We intend to do justice to those essential elements that have allowed this character to remain as pop-culturally relevant for as long as it has."

Legendary noted the film will fall under its co-production and co-financing deal with Warner Bros. Legendary's productions with Warners have included "The Dark Knight," "300" and "The Hangover."

Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:58 pm
Sir SlapMePlease

Post Re: It's Official! A New Godzilla Movie Is Coming In 2012!
Finally!

Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:05 pm
Veggie Fridge
Veggie Fridge

Quote:
I think that they know, that if they don't, we will burn the studio down.........just kidding......okay, no we will.

:lol: :devil:

Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:51 pm
Batshit Crazy
Batshit Crazy

Godzilla 2012 Has A Director! Keith Melton

A brand-new IMDB page has just been created for "Godzilla 2012" and it lists, Keith Melton, has the film's director!

The page also lists the film's title as "Godzilla 3D".

So I think that answers a couple of questions!

I'll be looking into this further!

Here is a list of Melton's credits:

Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs (2007) ... aka "Mummies 3-D: Secrets of the Pharaohs" - USA (reissue title)
Mystic India (2004)
Tall Tales (2004)
Our Country (2003)
Cirque du Soleil: Journey of Man (2000)
Ultimate G's (2000) ... aka "Ultimate G's: Zac's Flying Dream" - USA
License to Thrill (1999)
Pirates: 3D Show (1999)
To Dream of Roses (1990)

I will be looking up a bio for Keith Melton so that I can post more info!

So for now, if IMDB is correct, "Godzilla 2012" will be in 3D, and directed by Keith Melton.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:32 pm
Anal Muffin
Anal Muffin

if it looks like godzilla; ok. if it looks like that blown up american iguana; screw it

I REEK OF CICI'S GREEN PUSSY...

Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:22 pm
Batshit Crazy
Batshit Crazy

Written By: Ken Hulsey

It seems that I may have been duped? Earlier today I posted an article about the possible hiring of Keith Melton as the director of Legendary Pictures/Warner Bros upcoming "Godzilla" movie.

Now, that I have had time to do some research, it seems that this report was in error......or was it? Frankly, I'm not sure, there seems to be some confusion.

Now, first off, my source for the Melton hiring, was IMDB, which I have learned from fans, is about as reliable a source for movie info as a drunk at a party.

So, I was naive there.

Let me explain a bit. While searching for news on "Godzilla 2012" I happened to stumble upon the IMDB listing for "Godzilla 3-D". The page listed the film as 'In Development', it's release date as 2012, and Keith Melton as director. Certain that I had stumbled upon the page for the Legendary Pictures "Godzilla" movie, I posted the info.

What it seems that I did find, is the modified page for Yoshimitsu Banno's "Godzilla 3D to the Max" film.

Unknown to me, at the time, Melton was attached to direct that film.

So, I'm sure at this point that I screwed up 'BIG-TIME'!

Still, I have to wonder why the page for the "Godzilla 3-D" film has been updated to now list 2012 as it's release date.

Adding to this confusion is an article I also read this morning that states that a 60-minute, 3D, IMAX Godzilla movie will be released in early 2011. That info was included in a piece about upcoming 3D movie projects that also talked about Legendary Pictures 2012 Godzilla movie.

So what gives? Is Yoshimitsu Banno's 3-D Godzilla movie still on? Is Melton directing it? WTF!

Adding to this ball of confusion, is the fact that Melton's IMDB bio also lists "Godzilla 3-D" as his next film, with a notation that it is 'in development'.

Weird!

I also just discovered another page on IMDB for "Godzilla (2012)". That page doesn't have any director listed for it, and is also listed as 'in development'. My money is on this one being for the Legendary Pictures "Godzilla" movie.

Here are the possibilities, as I see them. One, since Yoshimitsu Banno is a producer on Legendary Pictures "Godzilla" movie, both the "Godzilla 3-D" and "Godzilla 2012" pages on IMDB have been merged somehow, that would explain the 2012 date for both.

Another far-fetched possibility is, that since Banno is on board, Legendary Pictures fronted him some money to produce "Godzilla 3-D" and it is now a go, with Melton at the helm. Maybe both films will be released in 2012, together?

Possibly Banno talked Legendary Pictures/Warner Bros to give Melton a shot at directing "Godzilla 2012"?

Truth is, all of this stuff is just rumor, conjecture, and guessing. Odds are, all of it is just a bunch of misinformation posted on IMDB by God knows who.

If any of this turns out to be true, well, I for one will be surprised.

The only reason that I bring any of this up, is the however slight possibility that there may be a grain of 'real' news in there somehow.

Such is the job of reporting on movie projects, there is just so much information out there, that turns out to be false. It is really hard to figure out what is the lies, and what is the truth.

You also need to understand that back in the day, IMDB was a 'rock-solid' source for accurate information. Now, I guess that things have changed.

I'll try not to get too worked up by any more changes to these pages. Lesson learned, I suppose.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:36 pm