I REEK OF CICI'S GREEN PUSSY...

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:47 am
Mr. TightAss

Post Re: peerpirates wtf
Quote:
hi,
some news of the peerates :

We have some problem with our hoster.
since this morning, they apply a network redirection on the web address wich host the file wich provide the servers list and all users are redirects on their local address (127.0.0.1) and no list could be downloaded. like we must move the download site on another webserver and make some others little modifications, our list (and website) will be not available until one or two days, but it will coming back soon as possible.

offlined crying.gif peerates.
++

its not too much of a problem i got 4 good servers here.

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:18 pm
buttfuckbullfrog
buttfuckbullfrog

serverlist, what's that ;)

That suck mate.

Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:22 pm
Mr. TightAss

El Mariachi wrote:
serverlist, what's that ;)

That suck mate.

connecting to servers and KAD is a must for getting a better overall picture of the network, and helps spread your files to a wider number of peers, remember some users can't use KAD so servers are the only way. I personally connect to both to reach the maximum number of possible users, this works the same way with getting sources for downloads.
Quote:
I believe it is always best to connect to both if you can. This will benefit both the network as a whole as well as user (for rare files mostly).

My reasons in no specific order:

The security concerns regarding servers are not necessarily justified IMO. Yes your published shared files list could persuade further investigation (ie attempt to upload particular files) but in itself it is not evidence. The real security risk always comes from downloading, and therefore uploading, copyright material.

Server searches have significant restrictions and therefore Kad does tend to be better. But for rare files it is possible there are no users connected to both networks. In these cases it will be necessary to search both and connect to the relevant one in order to find sources.

Nodes are initially found via ed2k. Without server connection you would have to know where to get a nodes.dat file.

Not everyone can use Kad, especially not without firewall. Mostly this will be due to router problems handling UDP packets.

For source exchange to work between networks relies on as many users as possible connecting to both. This will ensure those who can/do only connect to one can still acquire sources from both.

I don't think redundancy is correct regarding searching. Both are independent and do not share sources. As a whole they provide a more accurate picture but one or the other simply show what is published on the respective network. Perhaps for source acquisition, yes.

Quote:
hi,
my thinking is that KAD and servers are complementary.

as long time as the real dangers of p2p usage will are the sharing(upl/dl) of some illicit files, or some malwares downloads risks, i think there is no good reason for avoid servers usage. antip2p organisations don't need the server support to trap the users ; servers are mainly used for produce some stats on the contents and users, or just to pollute the network with some unworkable servers. but not to trap the users.

the much more interressant thing , with a server, is you can see the users requests, and make some marketing studies with.

to catch users wich are downloading commercial file, you need only a standard internet access, a standard PC made in taiwan, a standard and free operating system, like linux or bsd, a standard and free edonkey client, like mldonkey, and a standard knowledge of some commands, like tcpdump or netstat. it's better to know some scripting tools, like perl. that's all. so, why do you want they use a server to catch users ?

the KAD only users are not safe, no more than the edonkey only users.
so, i think people should use (verified) servers AND kad.

keep in mind ; the P2P usage can be 100% licit and legit. in that case, what do you want to hide ? the goal of all should be to make that possible, by the use of free technologies/products and by the downloading of free contents.

i think too it's not "only" a illicit exchanges problem;The eDonkey network is free and not under control.
with that tool, a person, like a tibetan 'chinese', can put an (txt/audio/video) information on the network.
after that content was published, everybody can download it, but especially : nobody can stop it.

you can close youtube or you can filtering web pages and the google search results, but you can't really stop p2p exchanges.
i think it's the real problem.

have a good day.

KAD only will obviously be adopted in the near future in the Official eMule project (needs to be vastly improved before that happens), but for now using KAD only you are excluding a massive chunk of users for no real reason, this will also give you slow crappy stats for files you share.

ta :ere:

Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:06 pm
Heavy Metal Turd
Heavy Metal Turd

Cpt. Scabby wrote:
as of today it seems you need a password to update your serverlist

anyone know anything bout this?

You can abbreviate the url and it'll work.

http://www.peerates.net/srvlist/

Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:42 pm
End of Level Boss
End of Level Boss

gav616 wrote:
remember some users can't use KAD so servers are the only way.

there is still source exchange :na:

gav616 wrote:
but for now using KAD only you are excluding a massive chunk of users for no real reason

some clowns are even using obfuscation only connections... viewtopic.php?p=108263#p108263 :shh:

Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:09 pm
Mr. TightAss

after using my brain I realised that was far too paranoid

the fact of the matter is 'The problem is not the client, it's the user'

Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:48 am